Auckland Council will open public consultation in August on new city centre masterplan designs.
The council’s planning committee approved the designs for consultation yesterday.
Among the more notable potential changes:
- Within a decade, an estimated 8 times as many people using the waterfront area every day
- The completed Commercial Bay precinct alone will house 10,000 workers
- Pedestrian traffic at Britomart is set to double when the City Rail Link opens in 2024
- Urban regeneration of the Grafton area could create a new liveable district and unite Parnell with the city centre and waterfront
- The vision for Grafton Gully is to create a multi-way boulevard to open up a new eastern gateway to the city centre.
Auckland Design Office general manager Ludo Campbell-Reid said the new designs introduced 3 concepts that would collectively unlock the liveability, accessibility & the indigenous Maori creativity of Auckland today and into the next 20 years:
- Access for everyone
- The eastern transformation of Grafton Gully, and
- Maori outcomes.
Attribution: Council committee agenda, release.